Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Remembered

It dawned on me yesterday that I had failed to make mention of Memorial Day during worship on Sunday. My focus was on Pentecost - the birthday of the church and the miracle of the how the disciples preached in languages they never learned before. It is a celebration of how Jesus breaks down of barriers and that separate and divide people. Divisions that cause war and hate. We have a bi-lingual worship service with our Spanish speaking church members. My attention was very much focused on having a meaningful, glitch-free, bi-lingual service and I forgot the other very important holiday were celebrated last weekend.

Monday, after working in the garden and trying to find some parts for my car - typical Memorial Day activities, I thought I should do something to remember those who gave their lives in the armed services. I happened to find a DVD on the bookshelf called We Were Soldiers.

We Were Soldiers is a 2002 war film that dramatized the Battle of Ia Drang, which took place in November 1965, the first major engagement of American troops in the Vietnam War. The power of the film is in how the characters are portrayed as more than one-dimensional tin soldiers. They were also fathers, sons, husbands and brothers. This film also gives you the same feeling for the North Vietnamese troops - They were also fathers, sons, husbands, brothers and soldiers. It was an awful bloody day. The film ends with a shot of the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington, DC. They remind us of the 58,000 US lives that were lost. How many others could be added to that number? It brings tears to my eyes and takes my breath away.

Yesterday I was reminded of the terror, horror and ugliness of war. I was reminded that the Scriptures call us to be peacemakers. I feel so for the men and women that have pledge their lives and are willing to go into harm's way to protect of our country. I grieve for those who lost sons, fathers, husbands, brothers and friends in war. They were all so young. I was reminded how the draft ended the year I turn 18 and the war was finally winding down. I think of the war we are fighting today as I write this - so far away and so very real. I think of Jesus crying over Jerusalem, "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, If only you knew what makes for peace."

There is a haunting song, originally written for a different war that plays through out the film. The lament, "Sgt MacKenzie", is written and sung by Joe Kilna Mackenzie. Joe wrote the song in memory of his Grandfather, one of the Seaforth Highlanders from the Elgin/Rothes area who fought in WWII. Sgt Charles Stuart MacKenzie was bayoneted to death at, the age of 35, while defending one of his badly injured colleagues in the hand-to-hand fighting of the trenches. If the song didn't play as you read this click on the title of this blog entry and it will take you to a web page where you can hear it.

Here are the lyrics in memory of those who lost their lives protecting their country:

Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone

When they come I will stand my ground
Stand my ground I’ll not be afraid

Thoughts of home take away my fear
Sweat and blood hide my veil of tears

Once a year say a prayer for me
Close your eyes and remember me

Never more shall I see the sun
For I fell to a Germans gun

Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Lay me down in the cold cold ground
Where before many more have gone
Where before many more have gone

No comments: